Friday 6 November 2009

Stupid Statements (Part XII)

Heinrich Boere has admitted to gunning down three men as part of a Waffen SS death squad – civilians killed in retribution for partisan attacks in Holland as the tide of World War II turned against the Nazis. Boere volunteered for the Nazis' fanatical Waffen SS only months after Adolf Hitler's forces had overrun his hometown of Maastricht and the rest of the Netherlands in 1940. After fighting on the Russian front, Boere ended up back in Holland as part of a notorious death squad codenamed Silbertanne. The Nazi death squad consisting of 15 SS men; is believed to be responsible for 54 killings. Made up largely of Dutch SS volunteers just like him; they were tasked with reprisal killings of their countrymen for resistance attacks on collaborators. In statements after the war to Dutch authorities Boere detailed the killings, almost shot-by-shot. In a 2007 interview with the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad he justified the actions, saying "I am sorry for what I had done but it was another time, with different rules." Murder at any time has the same rules. Don’t do it. For more than six decades after the war, he managed to avoid punishment – first escaping from a prisoner of war camp in the Netherlands, then successfully eluding the courts in Germany. The 88-year-old was finally arrested and at the time of this writing, goes on trial at the state court in Aachen, Germany, charged with three murders – a bicycle-shop owner, a pharmacist and another civilian.

Former President George W. Bush made some really stupid statements. Here are some of them. "To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say: You, too, can be president of the United States." And he is the living proof that his statement is quite correct. Here is another of his stupid comments. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." I don’t need to comment any further on that one. This next one really boggles the mind. "The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." Try explaining that one to your children. Come to think of it, try explaining that to adults.

Here is another Bushism. "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them." If you have strong opinions, it means that you do agree with them. One day he said, "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." Georgie boy. It is supposed to be like this. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again, shame on me." Here is a nice one. "And so, in my State of the - my State of the Union - or state - my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation - I asked Americans to give 4,000 years - 4,000 hours over the next - the rest of your life - of service to America. That's what I asked - 4,000 hours." Did he write that speech himself? Yes. No one else could be that stupid. In the following statement, he meant to say something else but true to form, he goofed. "It would be a mistake for the United States Senate to allow any kind of human cloning to come out of that chamber." What he was trying to say was that he didn’t want the Chamber of Senators to vote in favour of cloning. He should have let a young kid write his speech for him. The kid would have done it better.

Here is one you will want to forget. "Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America." Uhhh? It makes as much sense when you read it backwards. "The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself." Do I really need to comment on that one? Not really. "One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end." "I think the American people - I hope the American - I don't think, let me - I hope the American people trust me." It would have sounded better if he left out the first thirteen words. The only words in his statement that is believable is, "…I don’t think…" "We're concerned about AIDS inside our White House - make no mistake about it." Now you know why not many people visited the White House when this president was in office. He should have said, "We in the White House are concerned about AIDS." "I frankly felt like the reception we received on the way in from the airport was very warm and hospitable. And I want to thank the Canadian people who came out to wave -- with all five fingers -- for their hospitality." If he had looked closer, he would have noticed that all five fingers were pointing straight up in the air in that same manner that people stick their third fingers up in the air.

"There's no bigger task than protecting the homeland of our country." Uhh? "You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." The ones he concentrated on during his running for the presidency were those identical fools who voted for him. "We need an energy bill that encourages consumption." No wonder the United States is in debt for three trillion dollars. "I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here." Is he speaking about his body not being there or is it his mind that he is referring to? "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." With that many ‘believes’ in that sentence, it is equivalent to having a straight in a poker hand. "Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment." Redefining that sentence and making some sense out of it is akin to redefining the scratchings of hens in a hen house and trying to make sense out of them. "Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods." So are farts.

One statement this twit made which made a lot of sense and is funny also was, "When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." It is so good, it was probably written by that kid I spoke of earlier.

No comments: