Monday 29 October 2012


Presidential  hopeful  Mitt  Romney  is  a  flip  flopper. 

A flip flopper is a person who promises one thing and then changes his mind and does something else. Politicians are renowned for this kind of conduct. They will sway in whichever way the wind blows.

Romney is a flip flopper. He is swaying whichever way the wind is blowing and the reason is obvious. He wants to be the president of the United States and flip flopping is his way of pleasing his potential voters. Unfortunately, many of them are so uninformed about the issues he is flip flopping on, they have no idea that he can’t be trusted to stick with one position, come hell or high water.

Unfortunately, one of America’s greatest presidents flip flopped while running for the office of president. He was Abraham Lincoln. Prior to his election, he promised that the Southern states could keep their slaves and after he was elected and the Confederacy opted to secede from the Union, he flipped flopped and insisted that there be a total abolition of slavery. Now admittedly, I realize that his motives were honourable because he feared that if he initially demanded complete abolition of slavery before he got elected, and he got elected, the South still may have seceded from the Union. When they did secede from the Union after he got elected, he decided that he would go with what he always wanted and that was complete abolition of Slavery. That in my opinion was a reasonable flip flop. I can’t say the same for Mutt, I mean Mitt Romney.

 
As a direct result of his flip flopping, his current standing in the polls in his home state of Massachusetts gives him the dubious honor of being more unpopular in his state than any other presidential candidate has ever been in modern history. Massachusetts voters have turned against Mitt Romney with the desire to get even with him for waht he did to them when he was the governor of his state, leaving the former governor a political pariah in his own home state, according to a new UMass Lowell/Boston Herald poll. It seems to that his political twerp is betting on the voters’ short memories.

Here are some of his infamous flip flops which I chose from Less Gov is the best gov.com— a very interesting blog.  

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.” Later he said, “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there.”

“Roe v. Wade has gone too far.” He later said, “I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.” During an October 9th interview with the Des Moines Register, he said: "There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda":

The Romney campaign sought to take back the comments soon after they were posted on the Register's website. “Gov. Romney would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life,” according to spokeswoman, Andrea Saul said while declining to elaborate.

Romney supported abortion rights when he first became Massachusetts governor, but he changed his position while in office.

Speaking to reporters at a campaign stop in Ohio, Romney addressed his Register comments by saying, “I think I've said time and again. I'm a pro-life candidate. I'll be a pro-life president.” His concept of ‘time and time again’ is a bit muddled. I must be the wind. He later said, “I respect and will protect a woman's right to choose.” He also said, “I never really called myself pro-choice.

“I've been a hunter pretty much all my life.” Later he said, Any description of my being a hunter is an overstatement of capability.”

“I will work and fight for stem cell research.” Later he said, “In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise.”

 “I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.” Later he said, ”There's no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.”

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” Later he corrected himself.  “I did not see it with my own eyes.”

When speaking about bin Laden, the former head of Al Qaeda, he said, “It's not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.” Later he said when told that he must be killed, `He's going to pay, and he will die. ”

Based on the numbers of American Muslims, I cannot see that a cabinet position would be justified. Later he said, A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith..” Now that last remark was a double flip flop.”

“I’m a strong believer in stating your position and not wavering. He later said, I changed my position”

I would like to have campaign spending limits.  Later he said, The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates and their positions without burdensome limitations. ”

I supported the assault weapon ban. Later he said, I don't support any gun control legislation.”

 When I first heard of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, I thought it sounded awfully silly”. He later said, “Don't Ask, Don't Tell has worked well.”

 “I believe the tax on capital gains should be zero.” Later he said, “It's a tax cut for fat cats.”

“These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress.” Later he said, “Republicans should never abandon pro-growth conservative principles in an effort to embrace the ideas of Al Gore.”

“Relative to the leading candidates, some people see me as being more conservative.” He later said, “I'm not the most conservative candidate.”

“I don't line up with the NRA.” He later said, “I'm a member of the NRA.”

“The all-Democrat stimulus that was passed in early 2009 will accelerate the timing of the start of the recovery.” He later said, “The all-Democrat stimulus passed in early 2009 has been a failure.”

He first promised the voters, “The costs of health care will be reduced.” Then he later said,  “We were unable to deal with health care costs in Massachusetts.”

“If Massachusetts succeeds in implementing it, (health care) then that will be a model for the nation.” He later said, “What works in one state may not be the answer for another.”

End of the quotes

Politicians running for office are so determine to win, they will lie through their teeth to sway the voters on their side knowing that they can't meet the promises they made. If they claim that they weren't lying, then the alternative view would be that they haven't the faintest idea as to what they were talking about and simply made promises they knew they couldn't keep.

When he was running for the office of governor of Massachusetts, he made a last minute promise that he would cut taxes for everybody and ask for nothing from anyone in his state. However, once he was elected as the governor, he pushed through a tax cut that benefitted 278 of the wealthiest families in the state and then to add insult to injury, he raised the taxes on the middle class.

After watching and listening to Mitt Romney shifting, waffling, changing, and flip-flopping on nearly every important issue facing the United States, I am convinced that he will say anything to get elected. In my opinion, he is not unlike a conman who condemns others of his ilk who sell swamp land in Florida to gullible consumers and claim that those conmen are dishonest and untrustworthy and then later, he will sell you that same swamp land himself.

There are a great many very intelligent citizens of the US living in that country but there are also a great many stupid people also living there. As sure as God made little apples, these stupid people will vote for Mitt Romney to be their president. How do I know that? That is because these same stupid people voted for Nixon who was the most dishonest president in American history and Bush Jr. who was the most stupid president in American history so why should they change their ways?

As far as I am concerned, if Mitt Romney is elected as the next president of the United States, he will take the American people down with him and their wellbeing will drop so fast, their undies will be down at their ankles covering their feet like doilies.

 

 

No comments: